Hamilton Island, Queensland
August 18 - 24, 2018
Being new to Australia, when a friend invited me to join her group of friends in Hamilton Island, I didn't even let her finish the sentence. Yes! I was in! I wanted to go. I had no idea where it was. What "race week" meant, or who was racing. All I heard was island and boats. Need no more.
Hamilton Island Race Week started in 1983 and has been held in each year in August since 1992. (Prior to 1992 it was held in April.) This global yachting event, brings spectators from all around the world to the Whitsundays. The week is filled with events, food, music, networking and of course racing. Over 250 boats compete in regattas with the back drop of the 74 gorgeous Whitsunday Islands.
* No vehicles on the island, just golf carts
* Whitehaven Beach, one of the top 10 beaches in the world according to Island Magazine and Trip Advisor.
* Coca Chu (Restaurant: Hawker-style Vietnamese & Thai cuisine)
* Cockatoos everywhere!
* Sunset and drinks at One Tree Hill
* Race Week! Boats! Blue Skies, blue waters! Shades of blue you've never seen before!
* Qualia, luxury resort
* Hiker's paradise (Passage Peak is a challenging 5km hike, with amazing views)
* Killer Jelly Fish
* In summer and fall months, influx of tourists can be heavy
* Very high humidity in the summer
10 Hamilton Island Blogs:
- Hamilton Island Race Week
- A travel addicts guide to Hamilton Island: Don’t forget your camera!
- 10 SURPRISING THINGS NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT HAMILTON ISLAND
- Stylish Travel Guide: Hamilton Island, The Whitsundays, Queensland
- Top 5 Things to Do on Hamilton Island
- Travel diary: Our Hamilton Island getaway
- HAMILTON ISLAND – The land of Koalas, Crocs & Buggies
- MY FAVOURITE THINGS: HAMILTON ISLAND
- THE WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS
- The GQ Guide To Hamilton Island